News & Opinions

Start typing to see suggestions or browse Australia

Man avoids baggage charges by wearing 70 items of clothing

December 18, 2012, 12:56 pmYahoo!7

A man has avoided excess baggage charges at a Chinese airport by wearing 70 items of clothing.

Man avoids baggage charges by wearing 70 items of clothing
Rating:
(5)

According to Guangzhou Daily, the unidentified man was at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport looking like a ‘sumo wrestler’.

The man’s luggage reportedly exceeded the aircraft carrier’s weight limit. Not wanting to pay the excess baggage charges, the man then dressed himself in more than 60 shirts and 9 pairs of jeans.

He was then stopped by the metal detector and had to undergo a full body search, where airport officials discovered batteries, USB drives and electronic device charges spread out in his numerous pockets.

The man wanted to board a flight to Nairobi, Kenya.

Got any travel tips for avoiding excess baggage charges?

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

16 Comments

1. JS08:24am Thursday 20th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

but seriously, where are you going that you need 60 shirts???

2. happy01:34am Wednesday 19th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Why not do as your asked by airlines Instead of trying to be smart arses and overload \People have to much carry on luggage as it is Lockers are usually full and staff have trouble loading things into over head lockers Grow up obay rules and regulations there there for yours and everones elses safety

1 Reply
  3. Maria W01:14am Wednesday 19th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

genius idea

4. Ian Bennett12:31am Wednesday 19th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

It seems that they overlook laptops hence take a laptop bag and fill it with other items other than a laptop. Works all the time.

5. Liboria10:53pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

that gave me an Idea ... hahaha

6. JohnJohn10:33pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I really can't tell you exactly how I do it but it does include a denim motorbike vest with deep inside pockets that can carry about 4-5 kg of small heavy items on each side (left and right). As long as you are not taking anything that is illegal or contraband you can save 8~10 kg from your bags - now expand that to include a large overcoat (made to measure in Thailand for about $100).and you now have some very deep pockets in the overcoat - of course you will be checked but all I ever got was a smile and a wave through. Beat the airlines at their own game..

1 Reply
  7. wanderer06:46pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Made it to Australia ... NO need for aeroplanes any more

8. Andrea06:14pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

lol that's just brilliant! I'll have to try that next time I travel bwahaha

9. Elaine Rundle05:29pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

You know what they say,"there's more than one way to skin a cat"

10. Noel04:31pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I bet he was going to sell it or trade it all for a nice profit in Kenya. I remember many years ago trading an old pair of jeans and a cheap polo shirt for some nice ebony bookends in Mombassa. I still feel guilty about ripping off the poor Africans in that and other similar trades. I know some who traded soap for sex. I never stooped that low.

1 Reply